Here are some ideas for outings and fun things for the weeks of February 4 – 11:
Leisure Centre Schedules: https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Schedules.aspx
- Fresh Routes – a mobile grocery store that is bringing affordable and healthy food to you! Check this link for locations and schedules: https://yyc.rescuefood.ca/fresh-routes/
- February 4 – 22 (times vary – see link): The Louder We Get – at Arts Commons, Max Bell Theatre, destined for Broadway, this dazzling musical follows the compelling and inspirational true love story of Marc Hall as he navigates the Catholic school system to fight for his right to take his boyfriend to prom. With colourful pop-inspired songs and heart-warming unity, you won’t want to miss this electric love story. Admission: varies – see link. On Tuesday’s, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s – if you are under the age of 35, the ticket is $35. https://www.theatrecalgary.com/shows/2019-2020-the-louder-we-get?_ga=2.248950343.134298310.1580145392-1805235832.1565814106
- February 5 (6:30pm-8:30pm): Bravehearts Open Doors – at Calgary Parkland Community Association (505 Parkvalley Road SE), join the Fish Creek Bravehearts Toastmasters Club for its open house. This is a chance for guests to see what Toastmasters is all about and to meet the community. The Bravehearts offer members a chance to build their leadership and communication skills in a relaxed, easy-going environment.
- February 7 (6:00pm-9:00pm): Finding Presence – Mindfulness in the Mountains – at Framed on Fifth (1207 5 Ave NW), there will be an opening reception with an exhibit by Kathleen Davis as part of Exposure Photography Festival. David is a fine art photographer from Canmore who specializes in black-and-white photos taken from mountain peaks.
- February 10 (6:00pm): NeWest Press Author Reading Event – at Indigo CrossIron Mills, join four Calgary Authors as they showcase their novels. Authors include, Randy Nikkel Schroeder, Theanna Bischoff, Lauralyn Choow and Niall Howell.
- February 5 (7:00pm): The Booksellers – at Eau Claire Market, the next entry in Calgary International Film Festival’s Doc Soup series is The Booksellers. The film explores the unique and unexpected skills of antiquarian booksellers need in order to be successful in the trade and celebrates the importance of book culture. Viewers get a rare inside look into some of the most remarkable books of all time. This includes the most expensive book ever sold, accounts of polar expedition with wooly mammoth and more. Admission: $13-15
- February 5 (8:00pm): Chris Gordon – at The Laugh Shop at Hotel Blackfoot, Calgary’s Chris Gordon is headlining a comedy show. He has been credited in Hell on Wheels, Just of Laughs Festivals and more! Admission: $14.95
- February 6 & 7 (1:00pm-9:00pm), 8 & 9 (10:00am-7:00pm): Calgary Boat and Outdoors Show – at BMO Centre, peruse Southern Alberta’s biggest showing of boats, watercraft, marine accessories, fishing, camping, hunting and outdoor related products and services. Admission: $10-15
- February 6 (8:00pm), 7 & 8 (7:00pm): Ryan Niemiller – at Laugh Shop, Hotel Blackfoot, the quick-witted comedian will be in the house for three days in February. Niemiller was born with a disability, aims to share is unique perspective of what it’s like living in a world that was not designed for him through humour. Admission: $19.95-24.95
- February 7 (7:00pm): Photo Inspiration Night – at Central Library, PhotoED Magazine is presenting a unique event during Exposure Photography Festival. 10 speakers will run through 20 photography-based slides telling a story divided up in 20 seconds per slide There will be art photographers, photojournalists, commercial photographers and other fascinating industry folk. Admission: $10-35
- February 7 (8:00pm): Rosina Cove & The Brooke Wylie Band – at King Eddy, Fans of 100 Mile House should be excited to hear that the duo’s Peter Stone has another band called Rosina Cove. Go and listen to some indie music. Admission: $12-15
- February 8 (10:00am-3:00pm): Bowness WinterFest – at Bowness Community Association, there will be an escape from the chill of February with the family-friendly Bowness WinterFest Event. The carnival-style affair will feature games, prizes, zorb bowling, a bouncy castle, a photo-booth, concessions Admission: $7
- February 8 (1:00pm): Wordfest Presents: Cheryl Foggo (Pourin’ Down Rain) – at Memorial Park Library (2nd Floor, 1221 2 St SW), author Cheryl Foggo will be showing off her 30th anniversary release of her book Pourin’ Down the Rain: A Black Woman Claims Her Place in the Canadian West. She explores the feeling of feeling like an outsider growing up in Calgary in the 1960’s and ho she explores those feelings with her ancestry. There will be live music, special guests and an on-stage Q&A followed by a book signing. Admission: $15
- February 8 (1:00pm): Khari Wendell McClelland’s Freedom Singer – at Studio Bell (850 4 St SE), Scotiabank Backseat presents an afternoon of song in celebration of Black History Month. Admission: regular admission at Studio Bell
- February 8 (7:30pm-10:00pm): Glenbow Launch Party – at Glenbow (1309 Ave SE), there will be a party celebrating the launch of three exhibits including the much anticipated Vivian Maier: In Her Own Hands. There will be street photography and self-portraiture of Maier. Admission: by donation
- February 9 (2:00pm): Tribute to New Orleans – at Scarboro United Church, enjoy an afternoon of Big Easy brass music courtesy of Foothills Brass. Expect to hear music by Louis Armstrong, Al Hirt, Jelly Roll Morton and others in styles from ragtime and Dixieland to Second Line and more. Admission: $15-25
- February 9 (3:00pm): Pre-Valentine’s Day Sweetheart Dance Party – at Centre Street Steakhouse and Pub (2820 Centre St NE), get warmed up for Valentine’s Day at this Baby Boomer-themed dance party. The event will feature the Boomer Dance Party Band playing some of the biggest hits of the ’50s through the ’90s. The seating is first come, first serve – guests are recommended to show up early. Admission: $10
- February 10 (7:30pm): James Campbell, Arnold Choi & Glen Montgomery – at Bella Concert Hall, these artists will perform during this entry in the Wyatt Concert Series at the Bella Concert Hall. Admission: $10-30
Have a great week!